There are 2 schools of thought in the hospitality industry.
A. You don’t need to go to bartending school to get a job as a bartender.
B. You should go to bartending school and get a job as a bartender.
Having been in the industry for over 10 years I would like to share with you why I feel taking the Fine Art Bartending course should be your first step in becoming a bartender.
I have to admit I am a little biased in my opinion but it is because I have seen how much easier it is for our graduates finding work. So here are my top 5 reasons:
1. Confidence in Yourself – You are going to learn the basic set of skills needed to work behind the bar. Will you be a pro in one week of training. Nope…But you will be trained well enough that you would feel comfortable working behind any bar. This confidence gives you the ability to apply for bartending jobs.
2. Learning a New Skill – Bartending is a skill that needs to be learned hands on. Contrary to popular belief you can’t learn proper bartending technique from a YouTube video. Would you get your hair styled by someone that became a hair dresser watching videos online? Invest in yourself and learn from a professional instructor. These are skills that will last you a lifetime. All of our instructors are former graduates of the school that have went on to work in the industry.
3. Being Green is Good – There has been a shift over the past few years in the hiring practices for bartenders. What I mean by Being Green is Good is that you have no bad habits. You were taught to have proper pouring habits, the importance of great customer service and you respect the value of your job. Once you are hired you can easily integrate into the culture of the establishment with very little additional training.
4. Job Hunting Advice – This is probably one of the best little known facts about what we do. Over the 40 years of training bartenders we have developed an incredible job hunt program. You will learn all of the tips and tricks that we have put together to help you get to work faster. For instance applying at a certain time of the day will give you an 80% higher chance of getting hired than any other time…That is just one of the secrets we teach you in the course.
5. Have Fun & Meet New People – We have literally trained over 60,000 bartenders in the last 40 years. The one thing that I see every week is that our students not only learn but they have fun doing it. A lot of class mates continue to be friends for life. We are now even seeing the kids of the parents that took our course over 20 years ago coming through and it is neat to hear the stories from the parents how the Fine Art Bartending course made such an impact in their lives and they want to share that with their kids.
So the next time someone says you don’t need to take bartending school to get a bartending job, think of all the cool reasons why you should!
See you soon.